A 15th century tower house of Central Angus, Inverquharity Castle lies between the Quharity Burn and River South Esk, 3 miles (5 km) northeast of Kirriemuir. Originally a simple rectangular tower, built in the early 1440s, it was extended in the 16th century to form an L-plan structure comprising four storeys and a garret, with a corbelled-out parapet. Below the parapet is the entrance, protected by an iron yett, which was installed by licence of King James II granted to Alexander Ogilvie, the 2nd Lord Inverquharity, in 1444.
The lands were the property of the Ogilvie family from around 1420 until the late 18th Century when Inverquharity Castle was sold. Around the same time the 16th century wing was demolished and the castle fell into disrepair. The castle was restored by Grant family in the 1960s, the 16th century wing replaced and remains a family home today.