The estate and home of the Earls of Perth, Stobhall lies perched high above the left bank of the River Tay, 1½ miles (2.5 km) northeast of Stanley and 7 miles (11 km) northeast of Perth. Comprising a cluster of small buildings set around a courtyard, the property includes a 14th century chapel. This chapel was converted for domestic use in 1578 and a little tower house was built on to it. The chapel contains an important painted ceiling from the mid-17th century depicting the monarchs of Christendom. The adjacent dower house also dates from the mid-17th century, featuring an unusual plaster ceiling over its staircase.
Long the property of the Drummond Earls of Perth, the estates were forfeited in 1745 due to the then Earl's enthusiastic support for the Jacobite cause. Restored to the family in 1784, Drummond Castle and Stobhall passed through marriage to the Willoughby de Eresby family in 1807. In the 1950s this family were on the point of passing Stobhall into the care of the state when David Drummond, the 17th Earl of Perth (1907 - 2002), asked if he could acquire Stobhall to restore it as his family home.
A library was added in 1965 and a folly was constructed in the garden in 1989 which contains late-17th century trompe d'oeil panelling rescued from a derelict house within the walled garden of the former Polton House (Midlothian). There is a small formal topiary and rose garden adjacent to the house and a woodland garden beyond.
An agreement with the government exempts Stobhall from inheritance tax provided it is opened to the public for a period during the year.