A fine A-listed Palladian-style mansion, Stracathro House overlooks the Cruick Water 2½ miles (4 km) southeast of Edzell in NE Angus. In 1775, the Stracathro Estate, which extended to almost 800 ha (1976 acres), was bought by Patrick Cruickshank who had made his fortune in Jamaica. His brother, Alexander inherited the property and employed the Aberdeen-based architect Archibald Simpson (1790 - 1847) to build the house between 1824-27, together with a deer-park and gardens. In 1874, the house and estate was purchased by Sir James Campbell (1790 - 1876), Lord Provost of Glasgow and father of Prime Minister Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (1836 - 1908). The house was leased by the government in 1938 and an Emergency Medical Services Hospital built in the grounds to cope with military and civilian casualties of World War II. The house was used as a residence for doctors and nurses and was later purchased by the local health authority. Stracathro House has been privately owned since it was sold by Tayside Health Board in 2003, and is being refurbished as a family home.