Located on Eilean Musdile, a small island lying at the southwest tip of Lismore at the entrance to Loch Linnhe, the Lismore Lighthouse lies 5 miles (8 km) northwest of Oban. Built in 1833 by Robert Stevenson (1772 - 1850) at a cost of £4260, the lighthouse protects busy shipping lanes from that port to the Inner and Outer Hebrides as well as access to Fort William and the Caledonian Canal. Its white tower rises 26 metres (85 feet) above the island and is surrounded by ancillary buildings. The first lighthouse keeper was Robert Selkirk, a descendant of castaway Alexander Selkirk (1676 - 1721). The light was automated in 1965 and the lightkeepers' cottages are now privately owned.