Lying 2 miles (3 km) north of Kilbirnie in North Ayrshire, Glengarnock Castle is a ruined 15th century keep, which once had an enclosed courtyard, located on a promontory overlooking the River Garnock. In the 12th and 13th centuries, the lands here were the property of the De Morville family. The Barony of Glengarnock then passed to the Riddels and the Cunninghams. Mary, Queen of Scots, visited in 1563. Sir James Cunningham built the Glengarnock Aisle in the Auld Kirk of Kilbirnie in 1597. The Cunninghams retained the castle until the early 17th century and by the 18th century it had been abandoned. Stabilised in the mid-19th century, a sizeable ruins remains.