A castle and a country house of Central Angus, Finavon lies 4 miles (6.5 km) northeast of Forfar. The ruined 14th century castle lies just to the east of the 19th century country house. The estate was the property of the Lindsay Earls of Crawford from 1375, who built the castle. Over the years the castle was extended to form an L-plan tower-house of five storeys, plus a garret and a courtyard. David Lindsay, the 10th Earl of Crawford, married Margaret, the daughter of Cardinal David Beaton, here in 1546. The castle passed to Alexander Lindsay, the 2nd Lord Spynie (c.1597 - 1646), in 1629 and then through the Carnegie family, Gordon Earls of Aboyne and the Gardynes in 1815.
The old castle was replaced by the country house, built in 1856. The Finavon Doocot, which is maintained by the National Trust for Scotland, lies across the A90 trunk road to the northwest.