An oasis of tranquillity located to the east of the Canongate kirkyard on the north side of the Canongate, Dunbar's Close Garden is was laid out in the manner of a 17th century Burghal garden occupying a long and narrow plot which was typical of the time. It is the work of landscape architect Seamus Filor and was commissioned in 1978 by the Mushroom Trust, a local charity which promotes the creation of establish urban gardens. The Trust gave the garden to the city and it is now run by the City of Edinburgh Council.
Planted with flowers and herbs, it is open to the public and provides a pleasant and relaxing place to sit away from the bustle of the Royal Mile. The site has associations with town-planning pioneer, Sir Patrick Geddes (1854 - 1932).