A tower house of E Central Angus, Gardyne Castle lies 1¼ miles (2 km) southwest of Friockheim and 3 miles (5 km) east of Letham. Originally an oblong tower, dating from 1468, it was extended to the east in the 16th century almost doubling its length. Two bartizans lie above the west wall and the stair-tower which once occupied the eastern corner now lies in middle of the southeast facade, with a watch-tower corbelled-out above.
Built by the Gardyne family, they fell out with their neighbours the Guthries to such an extent that James VI confiscated the lands of both families in the late 16th century and the Gardynes disappeared. By 1682, the castle was the property of the Lyells of Dysart and it remained in their hands until the 20th century. Gardyne Castle has been renovated and remains a family home.