A toy fort of a country house, Newbyth House is located in East Lothian a mile (1.5 km) southwest of Whitekirk and 2 miles (3 km) north of East Linton. Built in the Gothic style, this two-storey house is almost square and has its facade divided by thin three-storey octagonal towers, which are slightly thicker at the corners. It was built in 1817 by Archibald Elliot (1761 - 1823) for General Sir David Baird (1757 - 1829) who retired here after a career in the military. Baird had been born in an older house which previously occupied the site, which was the work of William Adam.
Newbyth was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1972, but subsequently completely restored. It was later divided into eight flats; seven in the main house together with a garden wing.