A restored 15th century tower house, Plane (or Plean) Castle is located in SE Stirling, a mile (1.5 km) east of Plean and 2½ miles (4 km) north northwest of Larbert.
The Barony of Plean was granted to John d'Erth by Robert the Bruce (1274 - 1329) shortly after the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314. The castle was built c.1430 shortly the property passed by marriage to the Somervell family. It was originally three storeys and a garret. A manor house was built on the adjacent courtyard around 1528. Owing money, James Somervell, 8th Lord of Plane, sold the lands and barony in 1643. The property passed to the Nicholsons and then the Elphinstones. Both castle and manor fell into ruin. Prince Charles Edward Stuart's troops were billeted here in 1746 while he stayed at nearby Bannockburn House. The castle was remodelled in 1908 by Sir David Menzies, adding an Edwardian Crown Room, with over-size windows and magnificent views, above the parapet. However, it once again fell into disrepair in the 1930s.
Both properties were subject to an extensive restoration (1991-7) and now form a family home and holiday accommodation. They are linked by a raised wooden walkway. The Great Hall in the tower is dominated by a large mediaeval fireplace with carved stonework and features traditionally painted ceiling beams. The manor house has a vaulted basement which now forms a kitchen, dining room and sitting room. The grounds, which extend to more than 1.2 ha (3 acres), include a sculpture garden and a large pond.