Located on Dalkeith Road, in southern Edinburgh behind the Royal Commonwealth Pool, Salisbury Green is part of the University of Edinburgh's Pollock Halls complex. Until 2005 it served as a student hall of residence, but re-opened in 2006 as a prestigious year-round hotel, conference and training centre with 36 en-suite bedrooms. The original house of c.1780 by Alexander Scott was extended in 1820, extended again and remodelled in the baronial style in 1860-67 by architect John Lessels (1808-83) for the publisher William Nelson (1816-87). Nelson's brother and partner Thomas (1822-92) was shortly afterwards to build St. Leonard's immediately to the north. The building was acquired by the University after World War II and extended once again in 1979.
Several of its public rooms have been restored including the bow-fronted drawing room to the east, the Red Room with ebony fittings and the oak-panelled billiard room. Its fine interior includes rich painting by Charles Frechou.