A fine laird's house built around a 16th century L-plan tower-house, Bavelaw Castle is located on the northwest slopes of Hare Hill in the Pentlands, above Threipmuir Reservoir, 4 miles (7 km) west of Penicuik. Comprising two storeys, an attic and a basement, the original tower was probably the work of the Dundas family, and both Mary, Queen of Scots (1542-87), and King James VI (1566 - 1625) stayed here. It then became the property of the Scotts of Harperrig, but was later abandoned. Sir Robert Lorimer (1864 - 1929) restored and extended the house around 1900 by linking the former out-buildings to become part of the main house, adding larger windows and a turret to increase the space in the attic, and converting the basement. It remains a private residence.