A white-rendered tower situated on the slopes of Law Hill, a quarter-mile (0.5 km) east of West Kilbride in North Ayrshire, Law Castle (occasionally the Tower of Kilbride) comprises an A-listed rectangular keep of four storeys and a garret. A corbelled out parapet offers commanding views over the Firth of Clyde towards Arran.
Built around 1468 as a gift for Princess Mary, the eldest daughter of King James II, on the occasion of her marriage to the ambitious Thomas Boyd, later Earl of Arran, it was sold to the Bontine family in 1670. Abandoned and ruined by the 19th century, the castle was restored in the 1980s by architect Ian Begg as a family home and is now rented as holiday accommodation.
The basement contains two vaulted cellars, now used as a bedroom and utility room. The Great Hall, on the first floor, once had a screen-off kitchen and the modern kitchen occupies the same position. The upper floors include bedrooms and a sitting room. A turnpike stair connects the floors. The walls are pierced by gun-loops and there is also a pit-prison.