Located on University Avenue and within the University of Glasgow, the Hunterian Art Gallery is based on the collection of William Hunter (1718 - 83). This purpose-built gallery was opened in 1980, with art works being transferred from the Hunterian Museum. It has paintings by Chardin, Rembrandt and Koninck, as well as by 18th Century British artists such as Sir Joshua Reynolds and Allan Ramsay (1713 - 84). The gallery includes the largest European collection of the works of James McNeill Whistler (1834 - 1903), totalling more than 70 paintings. The collection also has items by Picasso and Hockney.
Most notable is the Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868 - 1928) collection, the world's largest collection of his works, comprising over 80 pieces of furniture and 700 watercolours, designs and drawings. There is also a reproduction of his Glasgow home located within the Gallery.