Situated on Shiprow between Union Street and the Harbour, a survival of mediaeval Aberdeen, Provost Ross's House is the second oldest dwelling house in the city. It was built in 1593 by master-mason Andrew Jamieson. It became the residence of Provost John Ross of Arnage in 1702. In the 20th C., in a derelict state and threatened with demolition, the house was acquired by the National Trust for Scotland. It was restored with support from the Trust's members, the City of Aberdeen and the Associated British Picture Corporation. It was re-opened by the Secretary of State for Scotland in 1954.
Inside, the house retains some original features, including a kitchen, fire places and beam-and-board ceilings.
In 1984, Provost Ross's House became home to the Aberdeen Maritime Museum but this has now moved to its own dedicated building nearby.