A small uninhabited island in the Rough Firth on the Solway Coast of Dumfries and Galloway, Rough Island lies a quarter-mile (0.4 km) southwest of Rockcliffe and a mile (1.5 km) south southeast of Kippford. It rises to 24m (78 feet) and has an area of 8 ha (20 acres). A noted bird sanctuary, the island was given to the National Trust for Scotland (NTS) by John and James McLellan in 1937 in memory of their brother, Col. William McLellan CBE, of Orchardknowes, Kippford, the engineer who had designed the Galloway Hydro-Electric Scheme. Access is possible via a shingle bank known as the Causeway, which extends across the mudflats south from Kippford and is uncovered at low-tide. NTS advise against visiting the island in May and June to avoid disturbing breeding birds.