A sizeable public park located a quarter-mile (0.5 km) northwest of the centre of Strathaven in South Lanarkshire, Strathaven Park actually comprises two separate but contiguous parks; namely the John Hastie Park and the George Allan Park. The former extends from the John Hastie Museum towards the town centre and is principally used as sports pitches. John Hastie was a local grocer and the proceeds of his estate were used to create both the park and a museum for the people of Strathaven. The park opened in 1915.
George Allan Park contains attractive gardens, a large miniature railway, laid out by the Strathaven Model Society in 1949, and a boating pond, which is regularly used by the owners of model boats. There are also children's play areas, tennis courts, a putting green, a bowling green and pavilion. The ornate B-listed cast-iron bandstand (installed in 1902) and was the work of the Saracen Foundry in Glasgow. The park opened on 26th June 1902, and commemorates George Allan who had died in 1892 at the age of only thirteen. His father, Rev. James Allan, gave a substantial sum to build a public park in the son's memory.