A district of Greenock, Fort Matilda lies 1½ miles (2.5 km) northwest of the town centre. It takes its name from a coastal battery built on Whiteforeland Point 1814-19 to defend the River Clyde. The fort was renovated in the late 1850s, again in the 1890s to support a minefield which had been built offshore, and refurbished and rearmed for the last time in 1902-04. It was demolished immediately prior to World War II, a factory having been established here to manufacture torpedoes. Battery Park lies adjacent, while Fort Matilda railway station lies a quarter-mile (0.5 km) to the south and there is also an industrial estate here.