Uninhabited since 1974, the 92 ha (227 acre) low-lying island of Swona lies in the southern approaches to Scapa Flow, west of South Ronaldsay in the Orkney Isles. Rising to 41m (134 feet) at Warbister Hill, its east coast is dominated by Old Red Sandstone cliffs. There are remains of prehistoric, early Christian, Viking and more recent crofting settlement, and still found on the island is a herd of feral cattle. A cast-iron lighthouse was constructed at the southwestern tip of the island in 1906 by Charles A. Stevenson (1855 - 1950). In 1983, this was replaced by a solar-powered beacon on a white-painted concrete platform.