Constructed at a cost of £120 million, this 26-span viaduct was built to relieve the pressure of traffic on the existing Kincardine Bridge and in the village of Kincardine. The new bridge conveys traffic to Clackmannanshire and the west, while the Kincardine Bridge takes traffic to Fife and the east. There are three lanes for vehicles - two northbound and one southbound - together with a combined cycleway-footway on the west side of the bridge.
Known as the Upper Forth Crossing during its planning and construction, it was named the Clackmannan Bridge following public consultation. It comprises a ¾-mile (1.2-km) bridge together with associated approach roads and cycleways, and crosses the river at an angle of 45°, with its northern landing cutting through the western edge of the site of the former Kincardine Power Station, a half-mile (1 km) northwest of Kincardine. Begun in June 2006, it was opened by First Minister Alex Salmond (b.1954) on 19th November 2008.
The deck of the bridge was fabricated on the north bank and pushed across the river to protect birds on the nearby mud flats (a Special Protection Area), representing one of the longest deck-pushes of its kind in the world. The completed bridge weighs more than 32,000 tonnes. The contractor was Morgan-Vinci Joint Venture, with consulting engineers W.A Fairhurst and Partners and Benaim, overseen by Jacobs-Babtie as project managers.