A much-altered tower house situated a mile (1.5 km) north of Beith in North Ayrshire, Woodside Castle is set within a 40-ha (100-acre) estate and originally dates from 1551. The property of the Ralstons until 1772, it was bought by the Patrick family in 1834.
Extended in 1640 and 1759, the house was baronialised and the tower heightened in 1890. Having deteriorated, the property was completely refurbished from 1999, at a cost of around £900,000. It now comprises 40 rooms distributed over five floors, including a five-bedroomed self-contained apartment in the arch-vaulted basement, which represents the oldest part of the building. A-listed in 1971 owing to its historical importance, the house was put on the market for £1.45 million in 2008.