A modest electricity generation project in Argyll and Bute, the Cowal Hydro-Electric Power Scheme (also known as the Striven Hydro-Electric Power Scheme) is centred on Loch Tarsan, 8 miles (13 km) northwest of Dunoon in the middle of the Cowal Peninsula. This was one of the first generating schemes, developed by the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board under Tom Johnston (1881 - 1965), to become operational. The scheme opened in 1951 and has a capacity of 8.0 MW.
Loch Tarsan forms the reservoir for the scheme, supplied by numerous streams and an aqueduct, which collects water from the Corrachaive Glen to the southeast and several streams along its route before falling into the eastern end of the reservoir. Water is supplied to Striven Power Station at the head of Loch Striven via a tunnel through the hillside and then an exposed pipeline which descends to the power station. This station was the work of architect Reginald Fairlie (1883 - 1952), who was also responsible for the cottages for the staff.
The scheme is run by the privatised Scottish & Southern Energy Plc, headquartered in Perth, with an annual turnover of £2.3 billion (2006).