A fine Neo-Renaissance granite edifice on the Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen Central Library was the result of a competition-winning design by George Watt and cost £10,000. The funds were raised by public subscription, but a considerable contribution had been made by industrialist Andrew Carnegie (1835 - 1919) who was to open the library on the 5th July 1892. The building comprises two storeys and a basement, with a balustrade along the street supporting ornate iron lamp standards cast by William MacFarlane's Saracen Foundry in Glasgow. This original building was later extended to the west and, later still, extended to the rear. It was C-listed in 1984.
Along with its neighbours - St. Mark's Church and His Majesty's Theatre - the Library forms part of a grand parade of buildings which have been whimsically described as representing education, salvation and damnation.