On 12th September 1842 Queen Victoria got down from her carriage 'for a moment' to visit Abercairny (sometimes Abercairney), an enormous Gothic-style mansionhouse in the process of being built. Situated in parkland which was landscaped in the late 18th century, to the south of the A85 and 4 miles (6 km) east of Crieff in the parish of Fowlis Wester in Perth and Kinross, Abercairny stood on an estate which had been held by the Moray family since the end of the 13th Century. However the mansion was demolished in 1960 and replaced with a rather more modest Neo-Gothic house. The fine parkland and the Tudor-Gothic stable-court (of 1841) remain. Milton of Abercairny lies to the northwest.