A ruined castle and estate near Monikie in Angus that gives its name to the earldom of Panmure which was created in 1646. Old Panmure Castle on a promontory that projects into the valley of the Monikie Burn near Muirdrum was a stronghold of the Maule family. Held in the 12th Century by a chamberlain of William the Lion, the lands of Panmure passed to the Maules in 1224. The 'New' Castle of Panmure was begun in 1666 to plans by John Mylne, the Royal Master Mason in Scotland. Designed as a Renaissance palace, the building was enlarged by the Earl of Panmure and Dalhousie in 1852. The demolition of this building in 1955 has been described as "one of the greatest acts of officially-sanctioned vandalism of its type in Scotland." The stable block remains.