Situated a half-mile (1 km) southeast of Rosewell in Midlothian, Whitehill House is an impressive Tudor-revival building by David Bryce (1803-76) and William Burn (1789 - 1870), built in 1844 as a home for Wardlaw Ramsay, proprietor of the nearby Whitehill Colliery (which was later acquired by the engineer Archibald Hood).
Until the late 1990s, Whitehill was run by Roman Catholic Church as St. Joseph's Hospital. It was home to severely disabled children, but in line with changing social policies, the children have been rehoused within their local communities.
In 1999, the house was purchased by a developer, with the intention of converting it into luxury housing. Meantime the house has been used for the filming of a Channel 4 television drama.