Located in the centre of Alloa in Clackmannanshire, Alloa Tower is one of the largest surviving mediaeval towers in Scotland. Completed in 1497 and significantly modified in the early 18th Century, Alloa Tower is the ancestral home of the Erskine family, Earls of Mar and Kellie. Original features of special interest are the oak roof beams, groin vaulting and a domed Italianate staircase. The Erskines were custodians of the young Mary Queen of Scots and John Erskine, 1st Earl of Mar (c.1510-77), was regent of Scotland whilst another John, 6th Earl of Mar (1645 - 1733), was involved in the Jacobite Rising of 1715. Now managed by the National Trust for Scotland, an eight-year restoration was completed and opened in 1997 by H M The Queen to mark the tower's 500th anniversary.