Opened in 1927, the Lanark Hydro-Electric Scheme consists of two power stations on the River Clyde, taking their water from the Falls of Clyde. Stonebyres Power Station is located 2 miles (3 km) west of Lanark and draws water from above the Stonebyres Linn waterfall, a head of 30m (98 feet), and generates 5 mega-watts of power.
Bonnington Power Station is located a half-mile (1 km) south of New Lanark below the Corra Linn waterfall. It draws water from above the Bonnington Linn waterfall, a head of 51m (167 feet), and generates 11 mega-watts of power. For approximately 5 days between April and October each year, Bonnington Power Station is switched off and the Falls of Clyde can be seen to full effect.
The Lanark Hydro-Electric Scheme is operated by Scottish Power, a privatised utility which now forms part of a multi-national energy group.