Haymarket Station is located in west-central Edinburgh and is Scotland's fourth busiest station with more than 2 million passengers annually. It was built 1840-42 as the terminus and head office of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. However, within four years trains were running through to what was to become Waverley Station and Haymarket took on a less important role. In 1866, the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was taken over by the North British Railway. Haymarket took on a more important role as part of the Edinburgh Suburban Railway, which opened in 1884. The platforms were redesigned in 1894. The station modernised in the 1980s and subject to a £25-million refurbishment in 2010-13. Externally, Haymarket remains the oldest Scottish station in anything like its original state.
The associated Haymarket Depot, located a half-mile (1 km) to the west southwest, services commuter trains which operate the Edinburgh - Glasgow Queen Street Service.