Built for the Hay family in the 15th Century, the much-extended Megginch Castle lies amongst woodlands in the Carse of Gowrie, 2 miles (3 km) north of Errol and 12 miles (19 km) east of Perth. Originally a rectangular red sandstone tower house, which was begun before 1460, the castle was extended and remodelled by Peter Hay in 1575 to comprise of three storeys and an attic. The Hays sold the property to the Drummond family in 1664. It was altered in the 1710s, then in 1790 supposedly by Robert Adam (1728-92), and extended again in 1820 and 1928. A fire in 1969 necessitated the complete restoration of the 18th and 19th century sections of the house. It is still occupied and is now the seat of the Drummonds of Megginch (Barons Strange). Inside the principal rooms are located on the first floor; the inter-connected drawing room and library feature fine ceilings and grand marble chimney-pieces. On display is an unusual collection British birds dating from 1840.
Megginch Castle was used as a location in the 1994 film Rob Roy. To the northwest of the house is a 19th-century stable block, with an unusual octagonal doocot in its courtyard, which features open Gothic arches below and a bellcast roof which is almost oriental in style. To the north is a small chapel (1781) on the site of another dating from 1689.
The gardens are particularly notable, with four ancient yew trees each more than 1000 years old, remarkable topiary, an astrological garden, a sundial dating from 1572, a fountain parterre, a 17th-century rose garden and a walled garden with a long herbaceous border and ancient fruit trees. Several of the old pear and apple varieties are greatly valued.