The estate of Skibo Castle, built by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (1835 - 1918). Originally part of the lands of the Bishop of Caithness, who had built his palace in the area in the 12th Century. When Carnegie purchased the estate it comprised some 20,000 acres and cost £85,000, although he spent approx. £2 million improving it. Today, it has shrunk to 7,500 acres and is owned by London-based entrepreneur Peter de Savary. The estate, which lies on the border of Sutherland and Caithness, includes two farms, grouse moors and forests, extending into the 'flow country'. Between the castle and the Dornoch Firth is landscaped parkland with a championship-standard 18-hole golf course and the artificial lochs Ospisdale, Evelix and Lake Louise.