Located on the west side of Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, is Archers' Hall, built in 1777 by Alexander Laing (d.1823) for the Royal Company of Archers. The hall was extended to the south in 1900 by A.F. Balfour Paul, the partner of Sir R. Rowand Anderson.
A private club, which today has over 500 members, the Royal Company of Archers were granted their charter by Queen Anne in 1704. Since King George IV visited Edinburgh in 1822, the Company has provided the bodyguard for the sovereign while in Scotland although, today, their role is entirely ceremonial. Members of the Company still practice on the Meadows and each year compete for the 'Edinburgh Arrow'.
Inside are paintings of notable members, including one of James, 5th Earl of Wemyss, Captain-General of the Company (1743-56), which is thought to be the work of Allan Ramsay. Members comprise senior military officers, politicians and members of the nobility, such as Baron Lang of Monkton, the Earl of Airlie, the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry, the Earl of Dalkeith, the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, the Marquess of Lothian, the Duke of Montrose and Viscount Younger of Leckie.
Today, the Edinburgh Bowling Club maintain their greens at the rear of the hall.