On the corner of Beaufort Road and Kilgraston Road on the southside of Edinburgh is Grange Cemetery, originally known as the Edinburgh Southern Cemetery. It was laid out in 1847 for the Southern Cemetery Company by architect David Bryce (1803-76), becoming the largest of Edinburgh's cemeteries. At the time it was located on the edge of the city, although today lies between the well-established residential districts of Marchmont and the Grange. The cemetery was constructed on a rectangular pattern around central vaulted catacombs, which were built into the crest of the hill.
Amongst its residents are mason turned geologist and founder of the Free Church, Hugh Miller (1802-56), who took his own life; architect John T. Rochead (1814-78); publishers Thomas Oliver (1775 - 1853) and Thomas Nelson (1780 - 1861), together with his sons; first Moderator of the Free Church of Scotland Thomas Chalmers (1780 - 1847); politician and landowner Sir Andrew Agnew (1793 - 1849); editor Charles MacLaren (1782 - 1866); General Sir James Hope Grant (1808-75), who was a veteran of the Indian Mutiny; together with reformer and another founder of the Free Church, Thomas Guthrie (1803-73). Guthrie's memorial is by noted sculptor Pittendrigh MacGillivray (1856 - 1938). There is a large memorial to the Usher family of whisky blenders and brewers, with brothers Andrew Usher (1826-98), Thomas Usher (1821-96) and Sir John Usher (1828 - 1904 ) all buried here. Grange Cemetery is also the last resting place of architect Sir James Gowans (1821-90), artist Waller Hugh Paton (1828-95) and politicians Sir George Warrender of Lochend (1825 - 1901) and Robin Cook (1946 - 2005).
The cemetery is now maintained by Edinburgh City Council.