Located on Sciennes House Place, a mile (1.5 km) south of the centre of Edinburgh, is the small and historic Jewish Cemetery, once the only one of its kind in Scotland. Opened in 1816 by the Edinburgh Hebrew Congregation. Memorials, inscribed in Hebrew, show that four generations of some families were buried here. It was closed to burials in 1870. The Jewish community then acquired a section of the Newington Cemetery, lying a half-mile (1 km) to the southeast.
The Southside Divisional Police Headquarters once lay adjacent, until its move to the new station at St. Leonards.