Located between Pilrig Street and Broughton Road in NE Edinburgh, 1¼ miles (2 km) northeast of the city centre, Rosebank Cemetery was opened 1846 by the Edinburgh and Leith Cemetery Company. The cemetery includes a mass grave, marked by a Celtic cross, of 215 men of the Royal Scots who came from Edinburgh and Leith and who were killed in the Quintinshill Rail Disaster of 1915. The cemetery also contains the memorials of many Leith ship-owners and merchants, and of two servants of Queen Victoria. There is also a small Moslem section.
The cemetery is now maintained by Edinburgh City Council.