On the roadside between Haddington and Bolton, around a mile (1.5 km) from the latter village, lies a well dedicated to Agnes Broun (1732 - 1820), mother of Scotland's national poet Robert Burns (1759-96). Burns' mother had come to live with her son Gilbert (1760 - 1827) after he took the job of a farm-worker on the Lennoxlove estate. It was at this spring that Agnes had taken water for the family. The dedication states:
"Drink of the pure crystals and not only be ye succoured but also refreshed in the mind. Agnes Broun, 1732 - 1820. To the mortal and immortal memory and in noble tribute to her, who not only gave a son to Scotland but to the whole world and whose own doctrines he preached to humanity that we might learn."
The well was restored in 1932 by William Baxter. The Burns' former home at Grant's Braes is marked by a road-side monument, some 90m (100 yards) southwest of the well.