Located in the grounds of Ninewells Hospital, Invergowrie House was latterly the home of the Clayhills family. Built originally for the Gray family in the 14th C., the house took the form of an L-shaped tower-house, with a barrel-vaulted hallway which is still visible in the basement. The red sandstone edifice that can be seen today was begun in the early 1600s. The house was significantly extended and baronialised in 1837 for Alexander Clayhills by the architect William Burn (1789 - 1870), who left his mark in terms of the pepperpot turrets and crow-stepped gables.
The house has been divided into privately-owned flats.