Facing into the Minch at the eastern extremity of the Eye Peninsula, Tiumpan Head Lighthouse lies 9 miles (14 km) east northeast of Stornoway. Built in 1900 by engineers David Alan (1854 - 1938) and Charles Alexander Stevenson (1855 - 1950), its white tower rises 21m (69 feet) and the light has a range of 25 miles (40 km). There was once a complement of six light-keepers; three living next to the lighthouse along with their families, together with a local assistant and 2 part-time keepers from the village nearby.
The keepers needed to regularly wind a clockwork mechanism which rotated the electrically-operated lamp. A fog signal was operated by compressed air and when HM Queen Elizabeth II, with HRH Prince Charles and HRH Princess Anne, visited the lighthouse in 1956 the young Prince was able to sound a new fog siren.
The lighthouse was automated in 1985 and is now remotely monitored by the Northern Lighthouse Board in Edinburgh. The associated buildings, no longer needed to house keepers, are now home to kennels and a cattery.