Click for Bookshop

Brodick Castle

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2017.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Brodick, a bay, a village, an old castle, and a quoad sacra parish in Kilbride parish, Arran, Buteshire. The bay is in the middle of the E side of Arran; has a halfmoon form; measures 2½ miles across the entrance; and is flanked on the N by Merkland Point, on the S by Corriegill Point. A fine smooth beach of sand and shingle, admirably adapted for bathing, lines its margin; a sweep of plain, sprinkled with little hamlets, rows of cottages, and pretty villas, spreads away from the beach; and this plain is backed by a semi-amphitheatre of mountains, cleft by the glens of Cloy, Shurig, and Rosie.-The village, on the SW side of the bay, 4 ½ miles N of Lamlash, and 14 WSW of Ardrossan, contains a number of neat residences, a spacious hotel, a small belfried church, and the Duke of Hamilton's school, which, with accommodation for 99 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 81, and a grant of £72,17s. 6d. A favourite summer resort of families from Glasgow, and even from the E of Scotland, it enjoys regular communication, by steam vessels, with Ardrossan and Greenock; and has a commodious iron steamboat pier erected in 1872, a post office, with money order, savings' bank, insurance, and telegraph departments, under Ardrossan, a fair on the Tuesday after 20 June, a justice of peace small debt court on the first Monday of every month, and sheriff small debt courts four times a year.-The castle stands on a green terrace, amid a splendid park, on the N side of the bay; belongs to the Duke of Hamilton, the proprietor of most of Arran; is chiefly a modern structure, in the old Baronial style, with steep crow-stepped gables, battlemented roofs, flanking turrets, and a lofty central tower; and, together with its park, figures picturesquely and proudly on the seaboard. A fortalice on its site existed in the times of the Norse invaders and of the Lords of the Isles; a reconstruction or an extension of that fortalice was an object of contention in the wars of Bruce and Baliol; and some portion of the mediæval structure is retained in the walls of the present edifice. The quoad sacra parish is in the presbytery of Kintyre and synod of Argyll. Stipend, £120. Pop. of q. s. parish (1871) 1104, (1 881) 996; of registration district (1871) 928, (l881) 837.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better