A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer
of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and
Historical, edited by
Francis H. Groome
and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works,
Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland,
It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text
freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation.
If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave
£5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining.
Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give
what you can.
Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts
of this entry
owhill, a beautiful modern hunting seat in Selkirk parish, Selkirkshire, near the right bank of Yarrow Water, opposite Philiphaugh, and 4 miles W by S of Selkirk town. It is a summer seat of the Duke of Buccleuch, owner of 60,428 acres in the shire, valued at £19,828 per annum. The pleasant grounds of ` sweet Bowhill,' extending 2 miles along the Yarrow, are finely wooded, possess much beauty, and are open to visitors; within their circuit, higher up the stream, stand the ruins of Newark Castle. The principal entrance to them is a bridge over the Yarrow known as the General's Bridge.
An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our