Eck, a long narrow loch of singular beauty in Strachur and Dunoon parishes, Cowal, Argyllshire. Lying 67 feet above sea-level, it extends 6 1/8 miles from N by W to S by E; off Whistlefield inn has a maximum width of 3 furlongs; and receives the Cur at its head, whilst sending off the Eachaig at its foot. The western shore is flanked by Ben Bheag (2029 feet), Ben More (2433), and Clach Ben (2109); its eastern, by Ben Dubhain (2090), Cruach a Bhuic (2084), and Ben Ruadh (2175); and the latter takes up the road from Dunoon and Holy Loch to Strachur and St Catherine's ferry on Loch Fyne. A steamboat, launched on its waters so long ago as 1830, was shortly discontinued; but now once more, since 1877, the yacht-like screw Fairy Queen plies backwards and forwards in connection with the circular Loch Eck route to Inverary. The loch contains abundance of salmon-trout, the `gwyniad' or fresh-water herring, and a remarkably translucent fish, 4 or 5 inches long, provincially called the `goldie.' A round hillock, near its head, bears the name of Tom-a-Chorachasich (`the hill of Chorachasich'), and is traditionally said to ark the grave of a gigantic Scandinavian prince, who here was slain in battle with the natives.Ord. Sur., shs. 37, 29, 1876-73.
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our