Panmure House, a seat of the Earl of Dalhousie, in Panbride parish, Forfarshire, 4½ miles NW of Carnoustie. Standing 350 feet above sea-level, and surrounded by beautiful gardens and policies, 550 acres in extent, it commands a fine prospect, especially to the S and the E. In 1852-55 it was almost rebuilt from designs by the late David Bryce, R.S.A., of Edinburgh, and now is a spacious and stately edifice in the French Renaissance style of architecture. Near it are the foundations of an ancient castle, long the seat of the Barons of Panmure. That barony was acquired by marriage about the year 1224 by Sir Peter de Maule, whose thirteenth descendant in 1646 was raised to the Scottish peerage as Baron Maule of Brechin and Navar and Earl of Panmure. Both titles were forfeited by the fourth Earl for his share in the '15; but that of Baron Panmure, in the peerage of the United Kingdom, was conferred in 1831 on his great-great-nephew, the second son of the eighth Earl of Dalhousie; and his son, Fox Maule Ramsay (1801-74), succeeded in 1860 to the earldom of Dalhousie. See Brechin, Cambustane, and Dalhousie Castle.Ord. Sur., sh. 49, 1865.
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our