A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer
of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and
Historical, edited by
Francis H. Groome
and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works,
Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland,
It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text
freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation.
If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave
£5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining.
Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give
what you can.
Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts
of this entry
arcaldine, an estate in Ardchattan parish, Argyllshire. It lies along all the southern side of Loch Creran; extends, at one point on the S, nearly to Loch Etive; is about 12 miles long and 20,000 acres in area, of £2079 annual value; belonged formerly to Sir Alexander Campbell, Bart., and belongs now to the widow of the Rev. A. G. Cameron. Barcaldine Castle, the old residence on it, was built in the 15th century by Sir Duncan Campbell of Glenorchy, and stands on a rising ground near the month of Loch Creran; Barcaldine House, the present residence, is a modern and commodious edifice, and stands among wooded grounds 5 miles further up, and 9¼ miles N by W of Taynuilt. See Ardchattan.
An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our