Edinburgh is a coastal parish, which lies in the City of Edinburgh Council Area, some 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Bonnyrigg and 7 miles (12 km) north of Penicuik in Midlothian.
It is located in the old county of Midlothian, which disappeared following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1974.
The parish has an area of 137.1 sq. km (52.9 sq. miles) and includes the settlement of Edinburgh. Edinburgh has 10 neighbouring parishes; namely Currie, Dalkeith, Dalmeny, Glencorse, Inveresk, Kirkliston, Lasswade, Newton, Penicuik and Ratho. The boundaries of this parish were modified among significant changes recommended by the Boundary Commissioners after the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889.