East Kilbride is a parish, which lies in South Lanarkshire Council Area, some 6 miles (10 km) southeast of Newton Mearns in East Renfrewshire and 7 miles (11 km) southwest of Hamilton in South Lanarkshire.
It is located in the old county of Lanarkshire, which disappeared following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1974.
The parish has an area of 96 sq. km (37 sq. miles) and includes the settlement of East Kilbride. East Kilbride has 9 neighbouring parishes; namely Avondale, Blantyre, Cambuslang, Carmunnock, Cathcart, Eaglesham, Glassford, Loudoun and Mearns. The boundaries of this parish were modified among significant changes recommended by the Boundary Commissioners after the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889.