Click for Bookshop

Parish of Applegarth

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2018.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Applegarth and Sibbaldbie
1834-45: Applegarth and Sibbaldbie

Applegarth (Norse 'apple-yard,'—orchard), a parish of Annandale, Dumfriesshire, whose western half is traversed by the Caledonian, and contains the two stations of Nethercleuch and Dinwoodie, 3 and 6 miles respectively N by W of its post-town Lockerbie. Including since 1609 the ancient parish of Sibbaldbie, it is bounded N by Wamphray, NE and E by Hutton, S by Dryfesdale, and W by Lochmaben and Johnstone. From N to S its greatest length is 6¾ miles; its breadth from E to W varies between 3 and 5¼ miles; and its area is 11,928¾ acres, of which 59½ are water. The Annan traces nearly all the western boundary; and a fertile alluvial valley, extending thence to a little beyond the railway, rarely in the N exceeds 300, in the S 200, feet above the level of the sea. Dryfe Water runs south-south-eastward towards the Annan through the uplands above this valley; and heights to the W of it-from N to S-are Dinwoodie Hill (871 feet), Blaeberry Hill (635), Gayfield Type (714), Sibbaldbieside (682), and Cleuch-heads (518); to the E of it, Mid Hill (721), Adderlaw (822), Bowhill (813), and Balgray Hill (770). About two-thirds of the entire area are arable, and some 300 acres are under wood; the rocks are variously volcanic, Silurian, and Triassic. Jardine Hall (Sir Alexander Jardine, seventh Bart. since 1672, and owner of 5538 acres in the shire) lies 1¾ mile NNW of Nethercleuch station, and is a good mansion, built in 1814; other residences are Balgray, Hewk, Fourmerkland, and Dinwoodie Lodge; and the landed property is divided among six. A Roman road is thought to have run through Applegarth, in which there are no fewer than 3 camps and 14 hill-forts-2 of the latter on Dinwoodie Hill, where is also the graveyard of a chapel, said to have belonged to the Knights Templars. At the SW angle of the parish stood its -old church, where, on 7 July 1300, Edward I., then marching to besiege Caerlaverock, offered oblation at the altars of SS Nicholas and Thomas à Becket. The site of Sibbaldbie church is marked by Kirkcroft on the Dryfe's left bank, 2½ miles NE of Nethercleuch. Applegarth is in the presbytery of Lochmaben and synod of Dumfries; its minister's income is £357. The present church (built 1760; repaired 1822) stands near where the old one stood, 2 miles SW of Nethercleuch, and contains 380 sittings. Two public schools, Sandyholm and Sibbaldbie, with respective accommodation for 90 and 66 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 48 and 62, and grants of £38, 6s. and £52, 14s. Valuation (1881) £11,979, 1s. Pop. (1831) 999, (1871) 902, (1881) 969.—Ord. Sur., sh. 10,1864.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better