Click for Bookshop

Parish of Logie

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2016.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Logie
1834-45: Logie

Logie, a village and a parish of NE Fife. The village stands 3 miles NNW of Dairsie station, and 5 NNE of its post-town, Cupar.

The parish, containing also the village of Lucklawhill Feus, was anciently called Logie-Murdoch. It is bounded N by Forgan, E by Leuchars, S by Dairsie, and W and NW by Kilmany. Its utmost length, from NE to SW, is 45/8 miles; its breadth varies between ¾ mile and 2¼ miles; and its area is 3599¼ acres. Motray Water traces the northern boundary, Moonzie Burn traces the southern; and the surface, sinking along these two streams to 85 and 180 feet above sea-level, between them rises in several parallel ridges to 335 feet at Crumblie Hill, 626 at Lucklaw or Inchlaw Hill, and 571 at Forret Hill. The predominant rocks are eruptive; and the soil on the slopes of the hills is mostly a good fertile loam, on their shoulders and summits is thin and moorish. Nearly five-sixths of the entire area are in tillage; 290 acres are under wood; and the rest of the land is pastoral or waste. The estate of Logie, on the S side of the parish, belonged in the time of Robert III. to Sir John Wemyss, ancestor of the Earls of Wemyss, and passed in the reign of James VI. to a younger branch of the Wemyss family. An incident in the life of one of its proprietors forms the theme of a ballad called the Laird of Logie, and published by Sir Walter Scott in his Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border. Cruivie Castle, the chief antiquity, has been separately noticed. John West, author of a System of Mathematics, was the son of a minister of the parish, who lived about the middle of last century. Logie is in the presbytery of Cupar and synod of Fife; the living is worth £252. The parish church (1826) was restored in 1882, and contains 280 sittings. There is also a Free church; and a public school, with accommodation for 72 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 55, and a grant of #63 18s. Valuation (1860) £4724, 10s. 5d., (1884) £5386, 7s. Pop. (1801) 339, (1831) 430, (1861) 410, (1871) 402, (1881) 390. —Ord. Sur. shs. 48, 49, 1868-65.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better