Click for Bookshop

Parish of Logie

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2018.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Logie
1834-45: Logie

Logie, a parish of Stirling, Clackmannan, and Perthshires, containing most of the post town of Bridge of Allan, part of the royal burgh of Stirling, the villages of Causewayhead and Menstrie, and the hamlets of Blairlogie and Craigmill. The Stirlingshire portion is in two sections, detached from each other, and the smaller detached from all the rest of the county; the larger Clackmannanshire section is likewise detached from the rest of Clackmannanshire by the intervention of the Perthshire portion ; yet all five sections lie mutually contiguous, and form a compact whole. The entire parish is bounded NW and N by, Dunblane, E by Alva and Alloa, S by St Ninians and Stirling, and W by Lecropt. Its utmost length, from N to S, is 65/8 miles; its utmost breadth from E to W is 5½ miles and its area is 12,079 acres of which 53 are foreshore and 212½ water, whilst 3095 belong to Stirlingshire, 593 to Perthshire, and 3811 to Clackmannanshire. Allan Water flows to the Forth 2¼ miles southward along or close to all the Lecropt boundary; the Forth, in the serpentine winding of the 'Links of Forth,' meanders 11¼ miles east south eastward along all the southern boundary, though the point where it first touches and that where it quits the parish are but 4¼ miles distant as the crow flies; the Devon winds 2¼, miles west south, westward along the upper part of the Alloa boundary; and Wharry Burn runs 55/8 miles westward and south, westward along most of the Dunblane boundary on its way to the Allan The surface all S of Blairlogie and Bridge of Allan. is low, flat carseland, only 15 to 40 feet above sea level ; but northward it rises to 362 feet at isolated Abbey Craig, 1375 at abrupt Dunmyat, 896 at Pendriechmuir, 1240 at Myreton. Hill, and 1832 at Colsnaur Hill. The southern district, thus, all onward from the Forth, to the extent of nearly one third of the entire area is strong and beautiful carse land, unsur,passed in opulence by any land in the kingdom; the eastern district is part of the beautiful vale of Strath,allan, with flanking braes rising eastward; and all the rest is part of the grand masses, romantic intersections, and lofty shoulders and summits of the Ochil Hills. The entire landscape, both in itself and in views com,manded from it, is exquisitely picturesque; and the southern front of the Ochils in particular, in one continuous chain from E to W, with soaring precipitous acclivity, partly clothed in verdure, partly rugged precipice and naked rock, both offer magnificent features in its own vast facade, and commands most gorgeous and extensive prospects from each of its litany vantage grounds. Dunmyat, standing out boldly in the middle of that grand front, and Abbey Craig, rising isolatedly in advance of it, and crowned with the conspicuous Wallace Monument, are specially prominent, both for their own pictur,esqueness and for the views which they command. The rocks of the plain are carboniferous ; those of the hills are eruptive. Coal does not seem to exist in any work, able thickness; limestone of coarse quality occurs in thin beds, as also does shale or slate clay, containing balls of clay ironstone; whilst sandstone of various shades of white and red is plentiful. Greenstone and amygdaloid are the most common of the eruptive rocks ; and they contain iron ores, agates, rock crystals, calc spar, heavy spar, and other minerals. A mine of copper ore was for some time mined near Westerton, and seemed to have the promise of a very rich vein ; but it failed to repay the cost of working, and was abandoned in 1807. The famous mineral springs of Airthrey have been sepa,rately noticed. The soil of the carse lands is rich argillaceous alluvium; of the hill slopes is mostly good loam; and of the uplands is either sandy or Moorish. About two fifths of the entire area are arable ; one tenth is under wood; and one half is either pastoral or waste. The Battle of Stirling (11 Sept. 1297), in which Wallace defeated the English under Surrey and Cressingham, was fought to the W of the Abbey Craig. Antiquities are a Roman causeway across the Forth at Manor faint traces of a Pictish fort on Castle Law, sites of pre-Reformation chapel and hermitage and the grand old tower of Cambuskenneth Abbey. Sir Ralph Abercromby, K.B. (1734 1801), the hero of Aboukir Bay was born at Menstrie. Airthrey Castle is the principal mansion ; and 9 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 28 of between £100 and £500. Giving off Bridge of Allan quoad sacra parish, Logie is in the presbytery of Dunblane and the synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £418. The parish church, 2 miles ESE of Bridge of Allan, is a plain edifice of 1805, containing 644 sittings. Its predecessor a little way NNW, is a beautiful ivy clad ruin, with a number of very old tombstones. Three public schools—Bridge of Allan, Causewayend, and Menstrie—with respective accommodation for 200, 120, and 250 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 160, 69, and 149, and grants of £132 15s., £59, 9s., and £121, 12s. Valuation (1860) £21,409, (1884) £37,229, 2s. 11d., of which £24,192 12s. 6d. was for Stirlingshire, £9481, 12s. 8d. for Clackmannanshire, and £3554, 17s. 9d. for Perthshire. Pop. (1801) 2166, (1831) 1945, (1861) 3483, (1871) 4553, (1881) 4696, of whom 2985 were in Stirlingshire, 1438 in Clackmannanshire, and 273 in Perthshire, whilst 2234 were in the ecclesiastical parish. —Ord. Sur., sh. 39, 1869.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better