Click for Bookshop

Parish of Eastwood

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2016.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Eastwood and Pollock
1834-45: Eastwood and Pollock
1791-99: Eastwood and Pollock
1834-45: Eastwood and Pollock

Eastwood or Pollok, a parish in the E of Renfrewshire. It contains the post-town of Pollokshaws (3 miles SSW of Glasgow) and the village of Thornliebank, with the stations of Pollokshaws, Kennishead, Thornliebank, and Giffnock. It is bounded N by Govan, E by Cathcart, S by Mearns, SW by Neilston, and W by Abbey-Paisley; and at its north-eastern corner approaches very near to the southern suburbs of Glasgow. Its utmost length, from NW to SE, is 4 5/8 miles; its greatest breadth is 3¾ miles; and its area is 5690 acres, of which 93¾ are water. The White Cart winds 4 miles west-north-westward through the interior and along the boundary with Abbey-Paisley; Levern Water runs 2½ miles, partly along that boundary, partly across a narrow western wing; and Auldhouse Burn, another of the White Cart's tributaries, comes in from Mearns, and traverses the interior, itself receiving Brock Burn, which rises close to the south-eastern border. The surface is charmingly diversified with shallow vale and gentle eminence, westward declining to 50 feet above sea-level, whilst rising to 167 near Know head, 170 near Haggbowse, 221 near Giffnock station, and 302 at Upper Darnley. The rocks are chiefly of the Carboniferous formation, and include valuable beds of sandstone, limestone, ironstone, and coal, all of which have been worked. The Giffnock sandstone has a fine grain and a whitish hue; the Eastwood pavement stone is a fine foliated limestone; and the Cowglen coal is of good quality, and occurs in numerous seams, none of the ore than 2½ feet thick. The soil on the banks of the streams is very fertile alluvium; on the higher grounds, is generally a thin earth on a till bottom; and elsewhere, is of various quality. Rather less than half the entire area is in tillage, as much or more is pasture, and some 350 acres are under wood. Extensive factories are at Pollokshaws, Thornliebank, and Greenbank; and the whole parish teams with industry, as if it were immediately suburban to Glasgow. Robert Wodrow (1679-1734), author of a well-known History of the Church of Scotland; Matthew Crawfurd (d. 1700), author of a voluminous unpublished work of the same title; and Stevenson Macgill, D.D. (1765-1840), professor of divinity in the University of Glasgow, were ministers of Eastwood; whilst Walter Stewart of Pardovan, author of the Pardovan Collections, died in the parish, and was interred in the Pollok burial-aisle. Darnley and Pollok, both separately noticed, are estates with much interest attaching to them; and StirlingMaxwell is the chief proprietor, 12 others holding each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 42 of between £100 and £500, 73 of from £50 to £100, and 89 of from £20 to £50. In the presbytery of Paisley and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, this parish is ecclesiastically divided into Eastwood proper and Pollokshaws, the former a living worth £602. The various places of worship and the schools are noticed under Pollokshaws and Thornliebank. Valuation (1860) £32, 503, (1882) £64,598, 1s. 5d. Pop. (1801) 3375, (1831) 6854, (1861) 11,314, (1871) 13, 098, (1881) 13, 915.—Ord. Sur., sh, 30, 1866.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better