Click for Bookshop

Parish of Hutton and Corrie

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2018.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Hutton and Corrie
1834-45: Hutton and Corrie

Corrie, an ancient parish of Annandale, Dumfriesshire, since 1609 annexed to Hutton, and forming its southern section. Corrie Water, rising near the Eskdalemuir border at 800 feet above sea-level, runs 7 miles south-south-westward through the interior, and along the boundary with Applegarth and Dryfesdale, and falls into the Water of Milk, 3¼ miles E by N of Lockerbie. Corrie church stood 1 mile E of Corrie Water, and 1½ mile NNE of its confluence with the Milk. See Hutton.

Hutton and Corrie, an Annandale parish of Dumfriesshire, containing, towards the NW, the post office of Boreland, near the left bank of Dryfe Water, 5½ miles NE of Nethercleuch station, and 7 NNE of the post-town Lockerbie. Bounded NE by Eskdalemuir, E by Westerkirk, SE and S by Tundergarth, and W by Dryfesdale, Applegarth, and Wamphray, it has an utmost length from N by W to S by E of 14 miles, an utmost width from E to W of 6 miles, and an area of 23,991½ acres, of which 68½ are water. Dryfe Water, rising in the northern extremity of the parish at an altitude of 1900 feet, winds 11¾ miles southward, till it passes off into Applegarth; the Water of Milk, from a point ¼ mile below its source (770 feet), runs 8¾ miles south-westward on or close to all the Tundergarth border; and Corrie Water, its affluent, rising near the Eskdalemuir border at 800 feet, flows 7 miles south-south-westward through the interior and along the boundary with Applegarth and Dryfesdale. The surface sinks to 370 feet above sea-level along the Milk, and to 400 along the Dryfe, thence rising north-north-eastward and northward to 827 feet at Pyatshaws Rig, 1085 at *Hart Fell, 1021 at Peat Hill, 1259 at Macmaw Hill, 1587 at *Laverhay Height, 1754 at *Jocks Shoulder, and 2256 at *Loch Fell, where asterisks mark those summits that culminate right on the confines of the parish. The rocks are mainly Silurian. The NE portion of the parish, lying generally high, affords good runs for Cheviot sheep; while on the lower portion, which is mostly sound pasturage and meadow land, dairy farming is carried on somewhat extensively, with some cattle-raising and breeding of half-bred lambs. The Corrie side of the parish has of late years been greatly improved, and now affords excellent grazing. Barely one-eighth of the entire area is arable. Hutton Moat and a camp upon Corrie Water make up the antiquities with ten or eleven hill-forts. Mansions are Gillesbie House (James Alex. Rogerson, Esq. of Wamphray) and Shaw (John Graham, Esq.), both near Boreland post office; and 5 proprietors hold each an annual value of more, 3 of less, than £500. Formed by the union of the ancient parishes of Hutton and Corrie in 1609, this parish is in the presbytery of Lochmaben and synod of Dumfries; the living is worth £405. The church, near Boreland, was built about 1710, and, as enlarged in 1764, contains 312 sittings; whilst two public schools, Corrie and Hutton, with respective accommodation for 88 and 73 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 66 and 61, and grants of £79, 18s. and £50, 14s. 6d. Valuation (1860) £7766, (1883) £13, 417, 8s. 3d. Pop. (1801) 646, (1831) 860, (1851) 886, (1871) 842, (1881) 814.—Ord. Sur., shs. 10, 16, 1864.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better